Pages

Who is your favorite original founding Avenger?

Death of Spider-Man Review

June 23, 2011


I just finished the last issue of Ultimate Spider-Man's Death of Spider-Man, and it was good, but not the best. It almost made me tear up, yeah, I'll say it and I'll explain myself, but at the same time it was too fast. This whole issue was about Spidey dishing it out with the Green Goblin while he's incredibly wounded as he's trying to protect Aunt May and Gwen.

The first part that got me going "Oh hell yeah, some ass will be kicked!" was when Johnny went after the Goblin.


But then the Green Goblin absorbed Johnny's flames and knocked him out, so there went my few seconds of happiness. But then this happened:


As Spidey is being up the Goblin, the Goblin gets Spider-Man to the ground, and right before he can do anything to Spider-Man, Mary Jane comes to the rescue slamming into the Green Goblin. She brought a truck to a fight, you never see that happen. But where int he world did she get that thing from? And how was she able to steal it? Hot wiring perhaps, or maybe asking nicely for the keys.

The greatest part of Mary Jane's arrival was when Peter threw her in the air for her safety, but it's okay, he spun a web for her to land in.


This is where it starts to get good; the first time Spider-Man breaks his non killing rule. Spider-Man lifts the truck MJ brought and starts to lay the Goblin out pound after pound. Everything seems to be alright by then, until the car explodes, throwing Peter to the middle of a lawn with his loved ones surrounding him during his last moments. As he lays there, he tells Aunt May this:

"It's okay. I--I did it. Don't you see...it's okay. I did it. I couldn't save him. Uncle Ben. I couldn't save him...No matter what I did. But I saved you. I did it. I did.."

He then cuts off as his once opened eyes were closed. The comic then ends by having a close up on Norman's bloody face.

What made me almost tear up was his dying words, I've been following Ultimate Spider-Man since before it officially came out with my first issue being a preview during Free Comic Book Day. And seeing one of my favorite super heroes go like that, is pretty intense. But this wasn't the best Ultimate Comic Spider-Man; the whole thing went by fast, I was able to finish it with a matter of minutes, and I took my time to read it. I wish they would've written and drawn out more for it, it was too rushed for something like this.

That's my take on the Death of Spider-Man, I still have a few comics to read, especially the Fear Itself tie-ins, but once I finish those up, I'll write up a review for you guys.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
The Reading Gamers © 2011 | Designed by Bingo Cash, in collaboration with Premium Wordpress Themes | Photography Wordpress Theme