Pages

Who is your favorite original founding Avenger?

Atari Cracks Down On Fan Websites

August 25, 2011


The last time I heard anything relating to Atari was...actually, I don't think I've really ever heard anything Atari related in any form of news throughout my years. There's always a first for something at least, and this first Atari related news has to do with Atari lawyers shutting down any Atari related sites, mainly non-commercial fan sites.

Atari has been cracking down on websites that are any way related to Atari, whether it be a hobbyist site or an Atari news site. The reason why Atari is doing such a thing is pretty unclear at the moment. One site in particular, atari2600.org, was forced to shut down his site and has since posted this message:

"Following a 'request' from Atari Legal's lawyer to hand them this domain, and to show my good faith and intentions with regard to their trademark and claims thereof... I have removed all content of this site.

I'm a bit of a retro-gaming nut. Over the 11 years I've 'owned' this domain, the site was used as a personal/hobbyist site for my interest in '2600 homebrew programming. It's variously been used to promote my '2600 game Qb (2001-2003), my extensive tutorials on '2600 programming, as a domain for the '2600 programmers' [stella] mailing list (2004-2010) and more recently linking to some of my videos and demos for the platform. The '2600 platform has been near and dear to my heart for a long time. 

:("

 Like I said, it's unclear on why Atari is doing this now as opposed to years ago. Their reason better be one hell of a reason though. I am really interested in what Atari is going to say about this, if they do say anything. I'll keep you guys updated though.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
The Reading Gamers © 2011 | Designed by Bingo Cash, in collaboration with Premium Wordpress Themes | Photography Wordpress Theme