Pages

Who is your favorite original founding Avenger?

Spider-Man: Fear Itself Review

July 14, 2011


Just finished up reading the last issue of Fear Itself: Spider-Man and wow, that was one excellent comic. I love it when Spider-Man is written like this - filled with fear and having the mindset that he's beaten, but he doesn't give up no matter what and Chris Yost caught it perfectly.

The mini series follow Spider-Man as he swings around the city of New York helping as many people as he can who's infected with fear as so is he. For three days straight he helps everyone he cans; a taxi cab driver who gets surrounded by a mob, a man who tried to commit suicide by jumping off a building, another man from shooting a church full of innocent people, a woman who was in labor and her unborn child.

The third issue is the one that stands out the most; in here, Spider-Man is heavily wounded, after a battle with Vermin from issue two, as he webs across town with Karen - a pregnant woman - trying to get to a hospital. He gets to the hospital and sees everyone scared and things get worse when Agrir, The Thing's possessed form, smashes into the hospital trying to kill Spider-Man so he can continue spreading Fear for his Serpent King.


The battle is an intense moment as there's a monologue going during the battle:

"What do I fear most? My own death? The people I care for dying? Failure? Death comes naturally for everyone eventually. Failure is part of life. But when hope dies...when hope is gone, then there's nothing left to fight for. And that's what I'm truly afraid of.[...]There is no hope. I can barely stand. I can't feel my right arm. There's blood in my eyes, my ears. He's stronger than me. I can't even hurt  him. There is no hope..but luckily...I'm too big of an idiot to accept it."

From there he tries to lay out Angrir and ends up shocking him by using Angrir's hammer to conduct electricity, Angrir then calls it quits and walks away while Spider-Man believes that Grimm was fighting against Angrir internally.


Spider-Man's monologue throughout the comic was the most powerful thing about it, how he kept talking about losing hope but not giving up is something you don't really think of when you think about super heroes. The art and writing for this was superb, I wouldn't change a single thing about this issue. We've all seen Spider-Man deal with emotions similiar, but I think Fear Itself: Spider-Man captures Spider-Man the best when he's losing hope and is full of fear.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
The Reading Gamers © 2011 | Designed by Bingo Cash, in collaboration with Premium Wordpress Themes | Photography Wordpress Theme